Friday, April 20, 2018

Dungrons & Dragons - Dungeonology

Earlier in the week I went down a rabbit hole of discovering a bunch of my work illegally being used on items for sale (another story for another day). In the process of finding all of the stolen artwork I did learn that some of my work was being used legitimately on projects I did not know about. I discovered that I was credited on the Dungeons & Dragons book, Dungeonology. Dungeonology came out in 2016 and while I was aware of its existence I had no idea some of my work was actually in it. Learning that I had a credit in it I rolled the dice and ordered one to see if in fact the credit was accurate and because I collect things with my work in it. The book arrived and I began paging through to find my reused work. While it was easy enough to spot my name on the first page under contributing artists, finding my art turned out to be a little more difficult. I searched through the entire book twice with no luck in finding anything that looked like mine. Maybe my name being in the book was an error? Maybe my work had originally been in there but it was removed along the way due to edits? Maybe I was not looking hard enough? Well, I began looking through the book a third time, carefully scouring each page, flipping through each supplemental mini book, and unfolding every flap, edge, and map in a the quest for something made with my hand. Here is what I found...

The cover of the Dungeonology is so shiny and fancy!

Looks like just another normal page with no sign of my art...

...but what's this? A secret flap? An extra bit of content and information!

Looking closer... what's this?

FINALLY! I drew that feather!

As far as I can tell this is my only art in the book and I think it is awesome and hilarious. I am eternally grateful for the professionalism for everyone over at WotC and the team on Dungeons & Dragons. It would have been so easy to no give me credit for this, after all it is just a little feather on one page. I have not been given credit plenty of times with other companies, so it is so wonderful when things like this happen. If you are wondering why I had drawn a feather for D&D you just need to look back to 2014. When working on the 5th Edition Monster Manual the artists were asked to supply detail pencil sketches for their monsters so that production can use them as part of the layout of the book. One of the sketches that I did for the Aarkocra was... you guessed it! ...a feather.

Aarakocra - Detail Sketches
9x12 - Pencil on paper
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment