Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Illuxcon 2017 - Part 2

Continuing my coverage of Illuxcon 2017 I will be sharing my experiences from the Showcase. The Showcase takes place the Friday and Saturday nights of Illuxcon weekend. From 8pm - midnight over a hundred artist take over a ballroom at the hotel to share their art with all those attending IX. It is a super fun time to say the least. If you are set up in the Showcase or if you are simply attending, the energy in the room is crazy. It is such a great focused event and those four hours each night fly by. It was great being back in the Showcase and it is truly a special experience.

This year my focus of the Showcase was not to sell my work, but to talk about my current project The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia. I brought all of my original drawings with me in a special portfolio so that everyone attending could see what I was working on. I also had with me my new table runner, stand up banner, and postcard that featured all new links associated with the project. I even had a computer set up so that people could join my new mailing list while at the Showcase. It was really wonderful to get to talk about my project with folks, share my art, and see the excitement that people had for what I am doing. It really made for a special time at the Showcase and one to remember. I want to thank everyone that came by my table, you made for a fun couple of nights!

I did bring a selection of client and other personal work with me that I did have for sale. My work on Magic the Gathering, Star Wars, and Dungeons & Dragons continue to bring people in and it is what I am know for. It was nice to be able to then point them in the direction of The Bazaar so that they could see what I do when I have complete control over a world. There is part of me that hopes one day that people will know me for my personal work... but I have a lot of work ahead of my before that would ever happen.

Here are some images from both nights at the Showcase...

My table is all set up and ready to go for the Showcase!

One half the table was dedicated to The Grand Bazaar of Ethra VanDalia.
Hopefully it is the beginning of things to come with my presence at events like this.

I was against the wall in the back of the room, so I could see everything if I stood on a chair.

While the Main Show is for traditional artists, the Showcase has no limitations, so you will see everything from watercolor, sculpture, digital, to pencil. It is a great cross section of veterans, students, up and coming artists, and everything in between.

A drawing I did in someone's sketchbook. I guess this counts as Inktober?

So monster sketches on the back of Magic cards.

Another view of the ballroom.

Saturday night was costume night. There was a lot of great costumes to be seen, including this Freakazoid!

Set up is done a few hours before the Showcase opens on Friday evening and tear down happens immediately after it closes Saturday night. Since I packed light I was set up in about 20 minutes and tear down was about the same amount of time. Only if every show was that easy!

Another Showcase has come and gone and I miss it already.
Tomorrow I will share some images and thoughts from the the urban sketching workshop!

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here tomorrow! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment