Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Eau-de-nil Elder Line Drawing Time Lapse

In an attempt to do a better job of documenting and recording my process and steps I have been trying out a new camera set up to record myself working. Ultimately, I would like to be able to offer time lapse of some of my work as well as record while I am working to explain what I am doing better. The first test of the new set up was a little rocky. I had originally thought the entire recording was corrupted,  it turned out a large piece of it was salvageable. This time lapse does not include the entire drawing process, it does record most of the line work going down on the Eau-de-nil Elder.

Eau-de-nil Elder line work time lapse
© 2016 Christopher Burdett

Details about this drawing and my drawing process:
  • I am using tan BFK Rives paper and black (and eventually white) Prismacolor colored pencils.
  • I created the thumbnail sketch for digitally and printed the thumbnail onto the paper at 20% opacity.
  • I create a digital thumbnail for most of my planned drawings for both myself and clients. This allows for a much faster product and for a cleaner final drawing. I can revise and work out ideas so much quicker and easier when working up my initial sketches digitally.
  • I still continue to draw without using this digital thumbnail method, but this is usually when I am relaxing or drawing without a set goal of a finished drawing. 
  • I generally always start at the top and work down the drawing.
  • I will continually revisit what I have already finished working on to add detail and edit parts that might not be working fully. 
  • You will notice that I spin the pencil around in my hand while drawing (watch the markings on the pencil to see the spin). This is to get more life out of the tip while I am drawing. By spinning it I control the marks the pencil is making.
  • When my hand disappears I am sharpening my pencil in an electric pencil sharpener.
  • When my hand pauses on the drawing I am thinking about the piece.
  • While the thumbnail is already worked out I often change it if I think the piece would be better suited to go in a different direction.

Eau-de-nil Elder line work
11 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Work in process
© 2016 Christopher Burdett

Now that I have the completed line work drawing done I have scanned it and will now proceed with the rendering of the entire image with black and white pencil to build up the values and complete the drawing. This will easily take two to three times the time it took to work up the line drawing. I will do my best to document the entire rendering process.

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment