Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Jabba's Rancor - Imperial Entanglements - Process

To continue a very Star Wars filled week I have for you today the process and steps that went into Jabba's Rancor, my contribution to the Imperial Entanglements expansion to the Star Wars LCG. I first shared this piece with you in July, just prior to Gen Con when it was spoiled as part of the Bantha Raider Villain Pack for Imperial Assault. This is still one of my favorite pieces that I have created for Star Wars. So that we are all on the same page, here how the finished painting turned out...

Jabba's Rancor
Star Wars LCG - Imperial Entanglements
14 x 11 - Acrylic and pencil on board
Art Director - Zoe Robinson
Original - SOLD
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

This piece needed to depict the Rancor that lived under the main hall of Jabba the Hutt's palace. The rancor needed to be holding a Gamorrean Guard in one hand and needed to have the floor grate above casting a shadow on it. I was more then ready to take on this assignment! It was time to get started on some thumbnails and that means doing a photo shoot with a Rancor. Luckily, I know a Rancor I can call upon. Last month I talked about how I use my robust Star Wars action figure collection to help with reference and composition in my work. This is where having an amazing film accurate Rancor figure comes in handy...

Instant grate floor brought to you by the drying rack from our clothes dryer.

Before shooting the figure I worked out several ideas in my head and then shot accordingly. I shot a lot of images of the Rancor from many different posses to cover everything I would need. I also shot a lot of extra... just in case. Using the drying rack from our clothes dryer I was able to achieve the desired shadow pattern on the figure.

Jabba's Rancor - Reference sample

Pulling from my reference photos I worked out several posses and compositions of the Rancor. I used these reference composites to then create my thumbnails and further work out the environment and scene. For my first option I wanted to do something from Luke's POV of the Rancor. As the Gamorrean is about to be eated, Luke looks up at the Rancor. For the other two I wanted to go with something a little more straight forward. Cover my bases and give something that was a little more of a Rancor Portrait. Here is how the thumbnails turned out...

Jabba's Rancor - Thumbnails
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Thankfully, my first option, Luke's POV was picked. It was my favorite of the set, but you sometimes never know what will be selected by production. With the thumbnail selected and no additional feedback it was time to work up the final drawing...

Jabba's Rancor
Star Wars LCG - Imperial Entanglements
17 x 14 - Pencil on paper
Original - SOLD
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The drawing was approved without note and it was time to get painting. In just 18 steps you too can have a Rancor painting... or not. Here is a look at this piece coming together...

Jabba's Rancor - Process progression
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

This was a really straight forward painting, excpet when it wasn't. The secondary light source from the grate behind the guard and Ranor's hand was problem from the beginning. Compositionally, it allows a light source to rim light and highlight the guard and to make sure it all reads well over in a corner that would otherwise be dark. In practice it just was not working. This really was the only issue of this painting, but it plagued me almost the entire time. As you can see, I painted it out and repainted it several times. In the end, the most successful solution was to remove the grate. It turned out to be less distracting and actually seems to work better. Maybe if I had used a different color for the light? It took a lot of prodding from my wife, but removing it was the best choice.

To better show the painting coming together here is an animated progression using images I took along the way...

Jabba's Rancor - Animated process
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Once again here is the final completed painting as well as an image of the printed card. I am super happy with how the card printed. I have mentioned it before, but I have for the most part extremely happy with how my paintings have been printing. I really hope this continues...

Jabba's Rancor
Star Wars LCG - Imperial Entanglements
14 x 11 - Acrylic and pencil on board
© 2015 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

 Jabba's Rancor in handy dandy card form

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Thursday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment