Monday, November 9, 2015

RAWR! Opening Night

Friday night was the opening reception for RAWR!, my show at 621 Gallery that features nearly 200 of my monster drawings. The turn out was far better then I had anticipated and it was a truly fun time. My sincere thanks to all that came out to support me and my art, it is greatly appreciated. It may have been a warm November evening, but that did not seem to keep people away. The opening reception started early and went late, so I take that as a good sign.

My show consists of two large installations of drawings. On the big wall are my first 100 completed drawings from my personal project to redesign and illustrate everything in the original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual. On the small wall are 27 miniature design turnarounds created for either Wizards of the Coast or Fantasy Flight Games for the Dungeons & Dragons Miniature Game, Dreamblade, Arkham Horrors Miniatures, or Nexus Ops board game. On the small wall a production miniature is displayed with the original design.

I took a "go big or go home" mentality with my installations. I have a ton of drawings and I planned to show as many as I could. Monsters definitely need their time in the spot light. Everything seemed to be well received which is always nice. Some were shocked I would display the original drawings, but why not? That are they for, if not to be looked at?

Here are some images of RAWR! and of the opening reception...

The big wall, the first 100 completed drawings from my personal project to redesign and illustrate everything in the original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual.

The small wall, 27 miniature design turnarounds created for either Wizards of the Coast or Fantasy Flight Games for the Dungeons & Dragons Miniature Game, Dreamblade, Arkham Horrors Miniatures, or Nexus Ops board game.

Because of the way I have been working through the Monster Manual there are a larger amount of "A" and "B" monsters. There are at most three of each other letter except for the letters that have only one or two entries.

A little closer on the monsters.

I had originally planned to only pin the drawings along the top, but due to air flow in the gallery the drawings were flipping up. They eventually received four pins and my figures are still sore from the nearly 600 pins I used to hang the show.

While the top rows might be hard to see or appreciate, I wanted to fill the wall with drawings and miniatures.

Plenty to see at eye level or lower on the wall. I made sure the smallest of the miniatures were placed low on the wall so they could be seen.

The Carrion Husk got lots of attention... RAWR!

Some people taking in the wall for scale.

And some more people taking in the wall for scale. SOOOO many people were taking photos, selfies, and video of my drawings. No idea what all those people will be doing with them or if I will be credited in them as the artist... but that is the way it goes. The guy in taking the photo in this image took a LOT of images of my work... so it only seemed fair to take one of my own.

Got to sign some Magic cards at the show too! Thanks, Brain, you made my night!

After the opening reception closed we wandered around Railroad Square taking in the sights for a little while. Here is one of the weird sights I found... a window full of derby posters,  many of which I created. Why? Who knows...

Again, A HUGE thanks to all who made it out for the opening reception! RAWR! will be up though November 28th if you missed the opening. On Thursday,  November 19th there will be am Artist Talk and happy hour event at the gallery from 5-7pm for those interested.

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment