Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Overshields - Kaijudo - Process

Today I have for you the process and steps that went into one of my paintings that I created for the now cancelled game, Kaijudo. While I only worked on the game a short time it was a lot of fun and I was sad to see it go. The painting I will be talking about today depicts a sky base shielding itself from the attack a dragon. Here is the final painting for Overshields ...

"Overshields"
Kaijudo - Vortex
11.3 x 9 - Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Overshields focuses on a the last ditch efforts for a sky base to shield itself from an attacking dragon. The shields needed to be the focus of the piece and the base and the dragon needed to not be pulling too much focus. The shields also need to appear like they were beginning to fail. Here are how the thumbnails turned out...

Overshields - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Not sure I had a favorite among these thumbnails. I wanted to make the dragon the focus and I was not too keen on that sky base, but I was making the most of the piece. ...because that is my job and my responsibility of taking on the work. It is clearly obvious now that options "A" and "B" were not right for the assignment and the dragon was too much in focus. "C" fits the bill perfectly... which makes it no surprise to anyone that it was the thumbnail that was selected. Now that I had an approved thumbnail it was time for the drawing...


Overshields
12 x 9 - Pencil on paper
Original for sale over on my web store!
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Apparently in my original drawing I was a little too much off model with the dragon's horns. It was one of those moments where I thought the dragon needed to be similar to the supplied model when in reality it needed to be exactly like the supplied model. The change was quick enough and made digitally. The updated drawing was approved without any further notes and I was approved to get started on the final painting. The Kaijudo pieces allowed me to work a bit more colorful and playfully. Bright and shiny was the Kaijudo way. The painting for Overshields had some rocky moments, but it all came together in the end...

Overshields - Process Progression
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Like magic the painting comes to life. Since the focus was the shields they needed to stand out so I battled with the piece a bit to make that happen. Maybe a pick/lavender sky was not my best choice to make that happened, but I really thought the sky would contrast well with the YELLOW shields. Getting the perspective and forms right on the sky base were also a bit of a pain. I stuck with it and worked it out in the end. I REALLY should have seen to the base in the drawing... but I was rushing and caused myself to spend more time later fixing it.

As an added bonus here is a handy dandy animated process thingy to better show the process and creation of the painting...

Overshields - Animated Process
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Here again is the final painting for Overshields and the card form of the art. There was a bit of cropping on the final card, but that happens. Since the shields are the focus, it helps direct the eyes to the big yellow hexagons in the center of the piece. 

"Overshields"
Kaijudo - Vortex
11.3 x 9 - Digital
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Overshields in handy dandy card form (and don't forget the artist proofs!)

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment