Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Illuxcon 2015 - Part 1

Illuxcon 2015 has come and gone but the memories and fun are forever. It is that time again for my recap of all the comings and goings of my favorite art event of the year. This time around I will be doing my coverage in multiple parts rather then covering each day separately... the days were really blending together this year and it will be easier to just split up the images and talk about them. If I do not credit the images to the right people immediately, please check back, because I will make a point to make sure all the art and the artist are connected.

This Illuxcon was really special for me. This year I was juried into the Weekend Salon and was part of the artist exhibiting in the Allentown Museum of Art. I have been attending Illuxcon since Illuxcon 2 in 2009 and only missed one year in all that time. I have been part of the Illuxcon Showcase since Illuxcon 3, so moving up to the Salon is a really big deal for me.

It was Illuxcon 2 back in 2009 that showed me that there is another more rewarding side to creating art for games and fantasy related products. There is something more then just fulfilling an assignment or making sure the client is happy, I can make art. I could make traditionally painted works that live in the real world and transcend any assignment. It was Illuxcon 2009 when the spark to make the move from digital to traditional was first ignited. It only took to 2014 to happen, but it did happen... and in 2015 I found myself in the very place I longed to be, but never thought I would obtain back in 2009.

I should also mention that I received many really good, and sometime sobering critiques at Illuxcon over the years and they have benefited me greatly and have pushed me to become the artist I am today. Many of the friends I have in the artist community either began at or were strengthened at Illuxcon over the years.

The point I am trying to make with all this... I am the artist I am today because of my participation and involvement with Illuxcon.

Here are some images of things seen and done at Illuxcon 2015...

Gratuitous plane wing image to start off every Illuxcon.

Another beautiful creation by Tom Kuebler.

One of my favorite halls at the Main Show. So much great art and many friends in this hall.

There was a few harrowing moments when I knew my boxes of art SHOULD be at Illuxcon, but we could not actually find the boxes. Mischief managed, they were found!

A look out into one of the larger halls of the Main Show. 

Gorgeous piece by Forest Rogers.

More awesome Tom Kuebler fun.

Still wandering around another hall of the Main Show trying to take it all in.

USA Today was making Illuxcon a little surreal, and I loved it.

Super awesome masks by J. Anthony Kosar. RAWR!

The wife sharing a moment and talking to Donato about his work.

Ryan Pancoast was painting live in the Main Show while capturing a time lapse of his work. Super cool!

Aaron Miller leading the life drawing / painting event.

One of these Illuxcon I should really take part, but I am usually too busy running around catching up with people. There is also the fact that at conventions is when I actually take a break from working :P

See you back here tomorrow for more Illuxcon coverage! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment