Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Gen Con 2015 - Day 0

Gen Con 2015 has come and gone. Another exciting adventure for gamers and monsters. I have returned home safe and sound, though exhausted and needing to catch up on a lot of stuff. It was another great week of seeing friends, making new ones, reconnecting with fans, and meeting new people. There were ups and there were downs, but in the end Gen Con is a ton of fun! Over the next several days I will have for you some images and thoughts from Gen Con 2015. Starting things off is the travel and set up day(s)...


Thankfully my convention gear fits neatly into my car still. I fear for the day it does not! The good thing about doing conventions over and over again is that packing and planning gets a little easier. Once the convention kit is set up it is a lot easier to tweak it and replenish it rather then making it from scratch each time. There are still ways to make it better, and that can only be determined by going to conventions.

Apparently I was not the only one driving north to Gen Con, a whole truck of little dinosaurs were going to Gen Con too. I think...

Another year driving to Gen Con and another picture of the rocket by the side of the road...

...as well as another picture of the big dinosaur by the side of the road.

The bridge from Kentucky to Indiana. Well, it is a bridge that is definitely near the Kentucky and Indiana border. Like the rocket and the dinosaur it is one of the major landmarks for me on the drive north.

Finally at Gen Con! The dear wife could not be there for set up, but there was a facsimile to stand in for here. You can follow the adventures of dear wife over on her Facebook account if you know her. Lugging all the boxes from the car at the hotel to the convention center is a thankless task, but I am glad to have the push cart. It makes things a little less horrible and reduces the number of trips. ...speaking of horrible, the convention center does not have any climate control during set up due to the loading doors being open. While this is not new, the conditions in the main hall during set up were bleak and the temperature was getting a little unbearable. I think we all survived...

My Gen Con 2015 booth is almost set up!

I was about 97% done when I finally had to abandon the main hall for cooler places. Pricing all of the work on the wall and label some drawings was all that remained for Thursday morning. I have learned a lot from setting up previous years and learned more this year. There are things I think I would have done differently in regards to this set up if I had it to do again. I always feel that NEXT Gen Con will be the best, and so far I have always been correct.

Strangely, in the restaurant we had dinner there was an image from my blog from Gen Con 2014. This was not just one of many images cycling out on the TVs, this was a single image that was on the vast majority of the TVs in the restaurant. It just lingered there... taunting me. So many unanswered questions...

Of all the images, why this one?! It was just a random shot and is not remotely a good representation of the art show... or Steve. Did someone Google search "Gen Con 2014" and grab the first image they found? We will never know...

That is all for Day 0 of Gen Con 2015, Day 1 will be along tomorrow! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment