Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Snake Oil Salesman - Process - Far Horizons

Today I have for you another process post for a "recent" Star Wars piece. This time around is the crafty Chiven Snake Oil Salesman from Edge of the Empire, Far Horizons! I first shared these pieces last November, so here is how the final Snake Oil Salesman turned out...

Snake Oil Salesman
Edge of the Empire - Far Horizons 
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

I have always been fan of the Chevin and was thrilled to do a pair of them for Far Horizon. If you are wondering about the Chevin, think back to Ephant Mon in Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi. If you are wondering about Ephant Mon... there is Google. Anyway... Chevin, big, hulking alien monsters! YAYS! I started things off as usual with some thumbnails...

Snake Oil Salesman - Thumbnails
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The Snake Oil Salesman was far and away my favorite piece for this project and one of my all time favorite isolated figure pieces for Star Wars. It was just super fun and offered up a chance to put a lot of character into this creature. The art order called for a big scar across his face, crazy clothes, a assistance droid, and lot of product that he was peddling. Sounds like a fun time in the Star Wars universe to me! I submitted some thumbnails and option "C" for the Chevin and "B" for the droid was selected. Since I now I had an approved thumbnail it was time for a drawing...

Snake Oil Salesmen
Edge of the Empire - Far Horizons
9 x 12
Pencil on paper
Original - SOLD
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

The drawing was approved and it was time for some painting. In just nice easy steps the Snake Oil Salesmen took shape... or not, but it did come together really quickly. This piece did lean a little dark, but I think it reads well enough in the end. Here is a look at the piece taking shape...

Snake Oil Salesmen - Process progression
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

Once again I have for you a handy dandy animated process thingy to better show the process of creating the image. Hopefully this better shows how the image comes together and takes shape.There were not a lot of issues to address or fix along the way, the image just took shape and became a finished painting, always nice when that happens...

Snake Oil Salesmen - Animated process progression
© 2014 Lucasfilm, Ltd. TM Lucasfilm, Ltd. Under license to Fantasy Flight Games

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment: