Monday, January 5, 2015

Jacqueline I. Fleming

Jacqueline I. Fleming was a veteran, educator, artist, mother, and most importantly to me, my Grandmother. Without her help and support over the years I would not be where I am today. The world is diminished by her absence.

Jacqueline I. Fleming
7/6/1921 - 12/31/2014

Jackie was my archetype for a strong independent woman. As the eldest of three sisters she was the first woman of her family to attend college. She lived through the Great Depression, served her nation during the second World War, and weathered all the ups and downs that the later half of the 20th Century had to offer. She was stubborn and determined and had things done her way until the very end.

A while ago I paid tribute to her by drawing her as a monster and dedicated my 4th Sketchbook to her. If I had known the joy this brought I would have done this a very long time ago. Here is the monster portrait of my grandmother...

Grandmother Monster
  9 x 12
Pencil on paper
© 2014 Christopher Burdett
Original - NFS

I have some wonderful images of her that will make great reference for other drawings. I will need to do more of these very soon. Here is one last image of her while she was in the service during World War 2...

Jacqueline I. Fleming & James Prescott
 
For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely post Chris, I know she was so proud of you ...and your mother!
    I know for sure she would have gotten a huge smile after seeing your posted drawing! Take care of your Mom and tell her I send my love to both of you!

    ReplyDelete