Monday, October 27, 2014

Dungeon & Dragons Monster Manual - Shambling Mound - Redesign

Starting off another week of monsters from my time redesigning for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons with something a little green. It is none other then the Shambling Mound! Everybody loves a giant plant monster that loves to squeeze you to death AND loves lightning. Here is how the final concept turned out...

Shambling Mound - Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual - Redesign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

I am no stranger to the Shambling Mound, in fact back in 2011 I redesigned the Shambling Mound for myself. Going into this reworking for 5th Edition I knew I needed to steer clear from anything I had already done for myself while creating the intended product for the client. Insuring that there would be no cross over, production requested that the new Shambling Mound needed to not have any appearance of a mouth, eyes, or anything face like at all. Done and done! I got to work on some very crazy, scribbly, loose thumbnails...

Shambling Mound - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Somehow something was determined to be of value from all these scribbles and option "B" was the winner. Only one thing to do... get to work on the drawing. Now I had to make since of all my scribbles and make it look like vines, leaves, and other plant bits. Here is how the final drawing turned out...

Shambling Mound - Drawing
9 x 12
Pencil on Paper
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The drawing was approved on the first pass and without note. All in all, this monster moved through production extremely quickly. With an approved drawing it was now time to add some color and wrap this plant behemoth up. Here is for the final color concept turned out...

Shambling Mound - Final Redsign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The final was approved without note and another monster was ticked off my list. In the end, when the MM came out the 4th Edition Shambling Mound was used. Not sure what happened, but the piece was by Lars Grant-West and is an awesome painting. Maybe my version will still be illustrated by someone out there...

A HUGE THANKS to Jon Schindehette for all the monsters and direction during the design phase of 5th Edition!

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday for another new monster! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment