Friday, October 31, 2014

Dungeon & Dragons Monster Manual - Stone Golem - Redesign

Not only is this post concluding another exciting week of new monsters from the design phase of 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons, but it is also Halloween! What better way to celebrate today's post then with the VERY spooky Stone Golem! ...wait, WUT?! Here is how the final concept turned out...

Stone Golem - Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual - Redesign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Stone Golem. Golem of stone. Made of stone Golem. Going into this one I was given some very specific direction from production. They had something in mind for how they wanted the Stone Golem to look and feel. Needless to say I had a bunch of my own ideas too. So I of course submitted a thumbnail that represented what they had asked for, some that abstract off of that idea, some of my ideas, and a mixed match version of all of the above. Here is how the thumbnails turned out...

Stone Golem - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Not surprisingly, the thumbnail that was inline with what they had asked for was the one picked. Production wanted a statue like construct they could have an Egyptian like feel to it... and they is what I gave them. Option 'C' was the winner and I knew it would be from the beginning... but you just never know and you will get surprised every so often, so never quit experimenting and trying to work outside the expected. With an approved thumbnail is was time to get drawing on the final concept...

Stone Golem - Drawing
9 x 12
Pencil on Paper
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

This was a pretty straight forward conversion from thumbnail to drawing. I added detail and made sure it all looked good. The final was approved without comment and I was good to move forward to the final color comp...

Stone Golem - Final Redsign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast
 
The final color comp was approved without comment and another monster was squared away. Only a couple monster left! If nothing unexpected happens we will be coming to the end of my monster work on the 5th Edition Monster Manual next week.

A HUGE THANKS to Jon Schindehette for all the monsters and direction during the design phase of 5th Edition!

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday for another new monster! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment