Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Dungeon & Dragons Monster Manual - Flesh Golem - Redesign

Monster Manual monster redesigns continue today... I told you I did a bunch of these things... Today I have a rather humanoid monster and that is okay because it is a monster mess, which I like a lot. What is made from the bodies of the dead and hopefully will obey the will of its creator? That would the reanimated Flesh Golem! Here is how the final concept turned out...

Flesh Golem - Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual - Redesign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Not dead, but not fully in the world of the living, the Flesh Golem is a mess of body parts where science and magic merge. I am no stranger to Flesh Golems, not only did I work on a Frankenstein TV movie in my other art life but I also redesigned the Flesh Golem for myself in 2012. When I was tasked to redesign the Flesh Golem for 5E I wanted to make sure I explored new ground as well as cover my bases with a traditional approach. I got to work on some thumbnails...

Flesh Golem - Thumbnails
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

The first note from production was to loose the magic runes, there were plans for such things to be used elsewhere. If you are familiar with my work you know that 'A' and 'C' are right up my alley and I would draw stuff like this all day without complaint. I love the top heavy big beefy body shape. I knew 'B' was going to be rejected and too crazy, which it is, but it needed to be done and submitted. 'D' was the most traditional design and the most similar to what I did for myself. While sticking to the classic visual archetype I still wanted to make it feel oddly put together and kind of off. As you already know, 'D' was the winner and it was time for the drawing...

Flesh Golem - Drawing
9 x 12
Pencil on Paper
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Always nice when a monster can appear something other then instantly threatening. The switch from confused, unintelligent, sympathetic, or helpful to a threat is always really satisfying. The drawing for the Flesh Golem was approved and I was given the go ahead to work up the final color version of this drooling heap of flesh that will be as likely to rip you apart as to walk into a wall and stay there. Here is how the final color version turned out...

  Flesh Golem - Final Redsign
© 2014 Wizards of the Coast

Another monster was put to bed and the villagers can get there torches and pitchforks ready for a night out. While I would have loved to do the version with the three heads this is really what comes to mind when you imagine a Flesh Golem, and sometimes there really is not need to reinvent the wheel and stick close to what has been established over the last 40 years of D&D.

A HUGE THANKS to Jon Schindehette for all the monsters and direction during the design phase of 5th Edition!

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday for another new monster! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment