Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Illuxcon 7 - Day 2

Day 2 of Illuxcon, for me at least, was all about the Showcase. Yes, there was a full day of the Main Show. Yes, the Salon was being set up and gotten ready for Saturday and Sunday. Yes, there was a full day or workshops and seminars. Even with all this my gaze was singularly set on being at my table from eight o'clock till midnight. Even after five years of setting up at events like Gen Con and Illuxcon I still have this weird combination of dread and excitement in regards to putting my work out on display and hoping that those that come to my table will be receptive.

Set up for the Showcase was to start at six in the evening, but some had been camped out at the door for many hours before then. Not sure I agree with such things, but I got a table I was very happy with and there was not too much hair pulling and biting as we made our way into the ballroom (okay, there was no hair pulling or biting at all). Set up went very smoothly for me and I think I had a very sharp looking display if I say so myself. Since my first Showcase in 2009 I have worked very hard to make my set up better and better. Now, after five years my display in the Showcase was all traditional work, except for one print and my sketchbooks. This is something I have worked very hard to achieve as well.

Things I have learned while at Illuxcon 7:

• WAY more fellow artists then I ever imagined read this blog.
• All of my recent personal monster work is being very well received.
• The fact that I am making more traditional paintings and drawings is being very well received.
• I need to paint some of my personal monsters.
• I have NOTHING to complain about and need to stay positive and be happy with my work and the things that I am doing.
• My peers and fellow artists really like my work and some now own pieces of my work - which mean so much more to me then I can put into words.
• At some unknown point I went from asking for portfolio reviews to giving portfolio reviews.
• All my hard work has been noticed and is paying off.
• After a really hard year or so with my art I am excited and recharged about it (more on this later).
• Illuxcon is an even more AWESOME and amazing show and event then I ever imagined.

I am sure I am forgetting stuff... but I will post it when I remember it. Here are some images from the first night of the Showcase at Illuxcon 7...

The chaos of setting up. Since I flew to Allentown everything was in suitcases. Once it was all unpacked I could start getting all the pieces put together.

Pete Mohrbacher posing at his table. He had with him a great collection of 5x7 acrylic paintings.

A look out from my table at the Showcase as people got their tables ready.

Just about ready... just got to get a few things taken care of.

RAWR! Even before the Showcase started the purchases began! Yoda was the first to go.

Looking out from my table as things are just about to begin!

A look from the opposite corner of the Showcase from where my table is set up.

The Showcase had been going on for some time at this point, though this photo might not show it, it was SUPER busy and packed with people long after midnight when it was to end for the night.

As the night progressed I built up a stack of cards and books that I needed to sketch in. Thankfully everyone was willing to wait to pick them up the next day allowing me time to work on them away from my Showcase table. Here is a dinosaur sketch on a Magic white back that I did have a chance to do during the Showcase.

Here is another sketch I had a chance to get to, my take on a white knight.

As the first night of the Showcase came to a close my table looks a bit different.
That was an intense four hours! Thanks to EVERYBODY that stopped by!

That is all for another exciting day on the blog, see you back here tomorrow for a look at Day 3 of Illuxcon! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment