Friday, July 18, 2014

Fresh from the drawing table... Buffalo!

I have for you another drawing that is fresh from the drawing table. This time around it is a Buffalo! Still working my way through "B". As previously mentioned, "B" has a lot of mundane monster entries and they actually outnumber the fantastical monsters (I think). It has been a challenge to approach them in my own unique way, make them interesting, and to give them the same attention and love the fantastical monster get. I present to you my version of a Buffalo… 

Buffalo
© 2014 Christopher Burdett

Yup, just your average, normal, and totally ordinary Buffalo. These animals roam open stretches of prairie or similar areas, grazing on grasses and doing important Buffalo stuff. While I thought about doing something really crazy with the Buffalo... like covering them with tentacles, I decided I would stick to a naturalistic normal Buffalo. It was really hard not adding tentacles all over it actually, and they were in the initial sketch. I finally made the decision to hold off gratuitous tentacles this one time. They can't ALL have tentacles in my universe. The mundane monsters sometimes just need to be themselves...

My first 100 original Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual redesigns (A - Z): Aerial Servant, Ankheg, Ant (Giant), Ape (Carnivorous), Ape (Gorilla), Axe Beak, Axe Beak (version 2), Baboon, Badger, Barracuda, Basilisk, Baluchitherium, Bear (Black), Bear (Brown), Bear (Cave), Beaver (Giant), Beetle (Giant) - Bombardier, Beetle (Giant) - Boring, Beetle (Giant) - Fire, Beetle (Giant) - Rhinoceros, Beetle (Giant) - Stag, Beetle (Giant) - Water, Beholder, Black Pudding, Blink Dog, Boar (Giant), Boar (Warthog), Boar (Wild), Brain Mole, Brownie, Bugbear, Buffalo, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Catoblepas, Cerebral Parasite, Chimera, Cockatrice, Coutal, Crab (Giant), Demon Type III (Glabrezu), Demon (Juiblex), Demon (Manes), Devil (Ice), Dragon (Red), Elemental (Earth), Ettin, Eye of the Deep, Flightless Bird, Frog (Giant), Fungi (Violet), Giant (Hill), Goblin, Golem (Flesh), Hobgoblin, Homunculus, Hydra, Imp, Intellect Devourer, Ixitxachitl, Jackal, Jacklewere, Jaguar, Ki-Rin, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizardman, Manticore, Mind Flayer, Minotaur, Naga, Neo-Otygugh, Nixie, Ochre Jelly, Ogre, Owlbear, Peryton, Pixie, Purple Worm, Quasit, Ram (Giant), Roper, Rust Monster, Sahuagin, Salamander, Shambling Mound, Treant, Troglodyte, Troll, Umber Hulk, Unicorn, Vampire, Wasp (Giant), Wight, Wyvern, Xorn, Yeti, and Zombie.      

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here on Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. can't wait to try those wings, mmhm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! No tentacles needed.

    The shedu can always get the tentacled/winged bovine treatment at some point.

    ReplyDelete