Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ecology of the Neogi

It looks like that I contributed more then the cover to Dragon Magazine issue 427! I had expected this article to appear next month, but it looks like "Ecology of the Neogi" arrived a month early. If this piece looks a little familiar, you are correct! Back in July the good folks over at WotC previewed the drawing of this piece as a teaser of things to come. That time has arrived finally and here is a Neogi riding an umber hulk...

Ecology of the Neogi - Dragon Magazine Issue 427
© 2013 Wizards of the Coast

This was my first opportunity to work on a Neogi, but more important to me, my first chance to work on an official D&D umber hulk (RAWR)! For me the umber hulk is one of those super classic monsters and it has captured my imagine from the very beginning. I was happy to paint a spider eel riding an umber hulk any day of the week!

This piece actually has a rich and complex thumbnail / sketch stage that I will be looking forward to sharing with you in the coming weeks. There was originally a third element to this illustration... that in the end became problematic. But more about all this soon!

As always, I would like to thank Kate Irwin for involving me on this project and for her art direction!

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday for some more new work! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment