Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Icetromper - Process

Today I have for you a look at the process and steps that went in the Icetromper that I shared with you back in March. You might remember that the Icetromper was part of the Desolation of Hoth expansion for the Star Wars card game. Before we get things started let's have a look at the final Icetromper to refresh our memories...

Icetromper
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

This process should be familiar with anyone who frequents the blog, but with each painting there are unique events and unexpected... um, hiccups(?) along the way. The Icetromper is no different and had a rather interesting hiccup in production, but I will get to that in time.

I am very knowledgeable of the Star Wars Universe, but I can't know about everything. Case in point... the Icetromper. I have not played the video game for which they were created for so this was a new critter to become familiar with.  After a little research I felt comfortable with what these beasts look like and I was ready to get started. As always, I started with thumbnails...

Icetromper - Thumbnails
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games
 
Thumbnail "B" was picked. There was some evolution with the card layout, chrome, and proportions for the art in the early stages of the SW card game. The Icetromper was one of those transition pieces for me... from the templates I had been using to the templates I am using now.  Production sent back to me the chosen thumbnail in the template to show me what I needed to be aware of as I moved forward with the drawing...

Icetromper - Selected thumbnail in template
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

Now that the arrangement and placement was all worked out and approved I got stated on the final drawing. The drawing was really straight forward and since so much of the image was to be the frozen desolation of Hoth there was not a lot to draw besides the Icetromper...

Icetromper - Drawing
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

The drawing was approved quickly and I got started on the final. It came together fairly quickly and I turned it in confident in the image...

Icetromper - Final... or so I thought
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

Wow! That was quick and painless. Done and done! ... huh? Wait, what?

So, there was a little revision note on the final after I turned it in... They just needed the image rotated... juuuuuuuust a little bit. This is when I am SO thankful to be working digitally. They sent me back a visual guide so that I was aware of how much needed to be adjusted...

Icetromper - Final revision requests
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

So I got to work filling in all that red space. Here is a look at the process of the Icetromper including the final revision so you can get a feel of what was all involved with that level of revision to the final...

Icetromper - Process
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

I should count myself lucky. Most of what I had to fill in and deal with was sky... not figures, heavily detailed creature, or architecture. And of course I was not working traditionally which would have required a digital fix or heavy modification. I got through it and the painting was finished and approved. Here again is how the piece final piece turned out as well as the final production trading card...

Icetromper
© 2013 Fantasy Flight Games

Icetromper in handy card form

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

4 comments:

  1. I always really enjoy your process posts; learn something new each time and they help me to refine my own. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Lance! Glad to hear you are getting something out of them! :)

      Delete
  2. Agree with Lance there, specially for guys like me who are just starting out. Posts like these are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear! Sometimes wonder if I should keep doing them... if anyone is actually getting something out of it. Looks like I have my answer and they will be continuing. :)

      Delete