Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Alien Races - Rhunians to R'zahnians - OHOTMU Reduxe

I have recently contributed again to the extremely awesome The Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe REDUXE Edition (OHOTMU Reduxe) blog. You will remember that this blog is redesigning, reinventing, and otherwise recreating all of the entries in the Official Handbooks of the Marvel Universe. My previous batch of aliens can be found HERE. For me second contribution I tackled (big surprise) another group of aliens, I present to you my take on the Alien Races - Rhunians to R'zahnians...

Original illustrations by Kyle Baker and Joe Rubinstein - © Marvel Comics
Redesigns - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

Like the first set these were all incredibly fun to work on. It should be notes that took many liberties with the Rhunians... but what else am I suppose to do when I have to redesign a 300 foot tall pink man in his underwear... Here are some larger images of each of my redesigns so you can get a better look at the finals... 

Rhunians Redesign - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

R'malk'i Redesign - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

Roclites Redesign - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

R'zahnians Redesign - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

It was very enjoyable to get to work in this looser quicker style to finish these up. It has given me a lot of ideas on what else to do with this level of finish for my own work. Here is a look at the drawings and ink work that went into each of the alien redesigns... 

Rhunians pencil and ink work - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

R'malk'i pencil and ink work - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

Roclites pencil and ink work - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

R'zahnians pencil and ink work - © 2013 Christopher Burdett

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

3 comments:

  1. So Chris how do you end up getting work like that. I ask because I meet a couple of people at Illuxcon last year who said some of their first work was doing card art for Marvel and DC, and suggested trying to get something like that, but I have not been able to find any info on who is in charge of those areas at Marvel/DC, or how to go about connecting with them. The only info on their websites is related to comic book/sequential art submissions, and that is really only DC (Marvel doesn't even have a link about submissions on their site anymore- since Disney buy-out)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there William. This particular gig of the redesign is an unpaid side project done for the love of it. The guy behind the blog is doing this as a personal project. You still had to submit work to him to get the chance to work on it... but it is not a paying project, something for fun. I heard about it when another artist I admire posted one of his submissions for the blog.

      As far as trading cards go you should look to the companies that release the cards. Topps and Upper Deck are two the biggest. They hire their own artists and manage the IP for the other companies they release products for. I am sure there are other card companies, a quick stop by a retailer should send you in the right direction of companies to seek out. I use to know some of the Art Directors that worked at these companies... but no longer.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Thanks man, I didn't realize that the card companies hired their own artists ( though it does makes since now that I think about it). Been barking up the wrong tree all along, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete