Friday, June 28, 2013

Illustration Master Class 2013 - Day 7

Day 7 of the 2013 Illustration Master Class! ...and we have come to the end. Day 7 is when it all must come down, be packed away, and be readied for everyone's return to their part of the world. Typically there is a lecture in the morning, followed by studio clean up time, followed by the closing address in the lecture hall, and finally an afternoon of open studios where all are invited to come and visit, see the art and share in the week's adventures.

The afternoon of Day 7 is also when you can get your sketchbook signed and sketched by your fellow classmates and the faculty. I drew many a monster that afternoon and many things were drawn in my book. As the afternoon went on some of the students and faculty had to say their goodbyes early and begin their journeys home. Those that remained broke up into groups and headed to dinner and made plans for the evening.

Iain McCaig rallied a huge group to go see Man of Steel. It felt like 95% of the remaining students all went with Ian to sit in a dark room together and watch a movie on the last night of IMC... the night intended for socializing and fun with classmates and faculty. Those that didn't go to the movie, which I was among, had some great one on one time with the rest of the faculty as everyone's favorite drinking spot in downtown Amherst. I think I chose wisely. It was the best last night I have ever had at IMC. It helped that I was not sick and that I didn't have to get up early and drive for two days to get home. Flying to IMC this year may have been the smartest decision I could have made!

Festivities continued into the night and for some, morning. When the next morning finally arrived we all said our goodbyes again and we all began our respective journeys home. Another Illustration Master Class had come and gone and hopefully we are all better off for it!

Here are some images from Day 7 of IMC... 

The dry erase board in the dorm lobby. It grew and took form throughout the week. Can you find my addition? RAWR!

Thank you loyal jelly jar that held my water! But our journey must now continue along different paths... mine heads home, yours head to the recycle bin...

One of many monsters drawn in sketchbooks. I like this one... it is weird and has tentacles...

A final thanks and celebration of Rebecca Guay for all her hard work and effort that it had taken to make IMC a reality and to keep it going. THANK YOU Rebecca, and to all the faculty!!!

The studios are cleared up and the art is displayed for the open studio time. The downstairs paint studio is still the happening local at IMC.

Greg Manchess and Dave Palumbo have their work out on display as well!

One of Rebecca Guay's giant and amazingly beautiful pieces on display. In all sincerity, I have really grown to love and appreicate Rebecca's work over the last several years and to really see it for what it truly is. I was of course familiar with her fantasy work but to see her personal work that is important and meaningful to her shows me the opportunities and options that I can have for my work and the work I want to make for myself.

Last, but not least (hopefully) is my piece for the 2013 IMC. We see it here all packaged up and ready to head home with me in a suitcase. I will be posting all about it on Monday here on the blog so you can see it every step of the way! RAWR!

That is all for another exciting Friday on the blog, see you back here on Monday for a look at my painting from the IMC! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. I have so enjoyed your coverage of IMC. Thank you for taking the time to share, Im sure you were quite busy. Cant wait to see the painting on monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Glad to hear you have enjoyed it! It is such a unique and special experience I feel obligated to share as much as I can about it.

      Delete