Monday, October 8, 2012

My life as a crappy artist - Sahrvin Demon variants #2

Back in July I shared with you my work on the Sahrvin Demon for the Angel series. I mentioned that I had originally created several designs mostly for myself since I was not on the design team for the initial push for this demon. Those designs were eventually submitted to production but were all rejected. Last week I share the first of those reject design, I have a second one for you today.

For my second concept of the Sahrvin Demons I went with something a little more straight forward with a big toothy growler. I always have like big bulky creatures and I tried time and again to get more made and in following with most of my attempts it was rejected. I thought it would be cool to have all the dangling waddles and armored plates hanging and shaking... but those sorts of things were frowned upon a lot of the time. Throwing in an impractical mouth also is a sure fire way for the design to never get any further then my pencil...

RAWR! I am yet another rejected design...
© 2003 Almost Human

Of the three variant designs that I produced for the Sahrvin Demon I think this is my least favorite. There really nothing really wrong with it per say,  just that it is really straight forward and old. The forms are a little uninspired and could have used a little more texture and detail overall. But it is what it is... I had some free time in the last couple months to revisit my original designs and I came up with something newer...

Taking a second unused Sahrvin Demon concepts back!
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

Since the original design was my least favorite I think this redesign is also my least favorite of the three. If they didn't like the first they certainly would not be digging this new version. Pretty sure the actor would not have been able to talk in my original makeup and I imagine that any actor taking in this new version would sound like they are talking into a tin can... in another room... in a thunderstorm... in the house next door. My goal with this design was to take my original and just make it more interesting and fleshed out. I think I at least accomplished that much. I feel it will be more successful in producing a satisfying, "RAWR!"

That is all for another exciting Monday on the blog, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Haha! Well, there keeps being more and more demons so someone besides his mother finds those features appealing.

      Delete