Monday, October 22, 2012

My life as a crappy artist - Sahrvin Demon variants #3

Back in July I shared with you my work on the Sahrvin Demon for the Angel series. I mentioned that I had originally created several designs mostly for myself since I was not on the design team for the initial push for this demon. Those designs were eventually submitted to production but were all rejected. Today I have for you the third and final rejected design, if you missed the others, you can see the first rejected design here and the second rejected design here.

For the third design I was just getting wacky. I knew full well that it was almost an impossibility that completely covering the mouth would make it past production. It was something I really wanted to flesh out and it could have been really cool. If this was a desert demon maybe it employed some sort of technology or arcane construct to make life more bearable. Or maybe it was a translation devise... who knows, it's a demon! It could be anything... but what it really was... REJECTED...

RAWR! I am one of the many rejected designs...
© 2003 Almost Human

I think this piece suffers for all the same reasons that all my work of this time period suffers. The forms are not informed or influenced by anything and they remain rather simple and uninteresting, to me at least. The asymmetrical top of the head is nice though. The neck collar would have been such a cool thing to see in real life and would have made the demon really stand out. But it is what it is... I had some free time in the last couple months to revisit my original designs and I came up with something newer...

Taking the third unused Sahrvin Demon concepts back!
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

The original version was not very threatening and this redesign continues that. Hopefully the demon and the breathing collar feel more unified, I always felt the original seemed like two very separate forms and were not really connected... or at least felt like it could really function with any usefulness. I hope that it is overall more interesting to look at as well... but that is ultimately in the realm of the viewer. I at least find it more interesting and more successful then the original. The leaking mouth fluids down the front of the collar are what really make it a success for me...

This concludes all my work on the Sahrvin demon, hope you have enjoyed it!

That is all for today, see you back here on Wednesday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment