Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ooktolok - Dreamblade

You may be aware that I worked on a little miniatures game called Dreamblade some time back. This blog is littered with turnarounds and work that I generated starting nearly seven years ago. Though it seems hard to believe at this point I still have more to share with you from that time in my career!

Today I have for you a rather strange monster, the Ooktolok. The Ooktolok was a creature of Madness and had a ranged attach ability. The Ooktolok was described as having its face in the middle of the torso and additional arms where the head and one leg should be as well as having some rather strange unique textured skin. This is what the turnaround for the Ooktolok looked like...

Ooktolok
© 2005 Wizards of the Coast LLC

As I am want to do, I did have some extra time recently and I thought it would be fun to take a fresh crack at the Ooktolok to see how I would go about it today. There was some overall proportions I never felt happy with the original Ooktolok that I thought I would now address. The funny thing was, as I worked more and more on the new version I came to realize that I may not in fact be improving on the original design. It was fun to redraw, but this time around the original may be superior to the newer incarnation. Don't get me wrong, there are things I like much more in the new one, but over all, I think the original hit all the points successfully. All that aside, here is the 2012 version of the Ooktolok...

Ooktolok Redux
© 2012 Christopher Burdett

I think I will name the new one, Mr. Beefy. Not sure how the new one ended up so much thicker, but I think that has been a gradual natural progression in my work. My forms have bulked up a bit when I have my druthers in a design. The new design is definitely... newer.

That is all for another exciting Wednesday on the blog, see you back here on Friday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment