Friday, February 10, 2012

Nexus Ops - Part 6: Rubium Dragon

Wrapping up the week as well as concluding my designs for the new release of Nexus Ops, I have you a dragon! Not just any dragon, but the Rubium Dragon, the biggest of the Nexus Ops creatures. It adorned the box art in the original release so I knew the dragon was important (also, it was a dragon, so that alone means it is important in this industry). I present to you, the Rubium Dragon...

Rubium Dragon
© 2012 Fantasy Flight Games

Rubium Dragon miniature turnaround
© 2012 Fantasy Flight Games

Production miniature for the Rubium Dragon
(RAWR! I am the biggest miniature of the set!)

As mentioned in my post about the Fungoid, I wanted to give a nod to the original game when I could. With the dragon, you get two nods. Like the Fungoid the dragon has multiple eyes, but most direct nod is the inclusion of the two pairs of wings. Was the original dragon a crazy insect? A misshapen mutant that still functioned? Whatever it was it had four wings and so does my dragon... big fleshy wings. As far as the color and look, I knew I wanted from the beginning to have some sort of color shift across its body, a really dramatic chroma transition. The red headed agama gave me the real world influence that I was looking for. I restraints of the project meant that if the dragon was to appear to be flying I needed to accomplish the illusion with the design. There was some brief talk of it having a clear stand as part of the mini, but apparently that was tried before and the cost and trouble was not worth it. I considered all the options of it appearing like it was just about to take off or land but I really felt that if I could have use it body to make it feel it was already in flight I would have a more interesting design and miniature... I think I may have pulled it off...

That is all for my work on Nexus Ops! Maybe I will bring you some of the drawings and extra stuff involved with the designs and game in the near future. If you missed any of the other designs you can see them here: Human, Fungoid, Crystalline, Rockstrider, Lava Leaper, and Rubium Dragon.

That is all for another exciting week on the blog, see you back here for a very special Monday! Until then...

For more samples of my work or to contact
me regarding my availability head over to my website: www.christopherburdett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment